5) Technical Requirements & Support
Although Chiron technology is not difficult to use and most practices are able to implement it quickly, it is important to make sure that your practice is set up for telemedicine success from a technical standpoint.
- A strong, reliable internet connection is essential for telemedicine. You can test the speed of your connection by visiting http://beta.speedtest.net/. Be sure to use the same computer and internet connection that you or your providers will use to conduct telemedicine visits. Record both your download and upload speeds.
- If either of your upload or download speeds are in the 0 - 2 Mbps range, your internet connection is probably not reliable enough for telemedicine, and you should upgrade before beginning your telemedicine program.
Here is contact info for several popular internet service providers (ISPs). We recommend upgrading to the highest speed connection available in your area. The many benefits of telemedicine will be well worth the cost.
- Xfinity: (800) 934-6489
- AT&T U-Verse: (800) 288-2020
- Verizon Fios: (800) 837-4966
- Spectrum: (833) 694-9259
- Cox Communications: (623) 322-2000
- If your upload and download speeds are in the 2 Mbps - 10 Mbps range, your internet connection is probably acceptable for telemedicine visits, but you may want to upgrade for a more reliable experience.
- If you are experiencing speeds of 10+ Mbps, your internet connection should be in good shape for telemedicine appointments.
Using headphones during a video visit helps reduce background noise and ensure patient confidentiality. Be sure to choose a pair that is comfortable and offers deep, clear sound. We recommend this pair by Bose: http://amzn.to/2y7hkbP.
Patient Connection Issues
You can ensure the quality and speed of your internet connection, but the reality is that the quality of patient internet connections can vary a lot. It is important to be prepared for connection issues from time-to-time. It is a best practice to tell your patients to use Wi-Fi or a wired connection whenever possible.
If you or your patients do hit a snag, contact Chiron support and we'll help you out. There are a number of ways to get in touch with us:
Click this icon in the platform, or click "Need help?" on the sidebar.
Active support hours are Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm Central time.